A Dummys Guide to Basic Multiplayer

For everything about online flying around New Zealand

Postby ardypilot » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Here is a step by step guide to multiplayer flying in FS2004, using the Inspire.net.nz server (which many NZFF members use) as an example. If you are having any difficulty with this process, please post your problem in a reply below.

Method 1) Connecting once inside your aircraft.

Step 1.
Start FS2004.

Step 2.
Create a flight somewhere in NZ and put your aircraft on the parking stand of your choice. Do not use the active runway in case somebody else connects at the same time causing your aircraft to crash into each other.

Step 3.
Go to the main FS2004 menu (hit ALT on the keyboard) and then select Connect from the Flights/Multiplayer menu
user posted image

Step 4.
Into the player name box put a name of your choice. (Use your NZFFac username so other members know who they are flying with!)

Into the IP address box put 203.114.130.15 (The Inspire.net.nz Server)

Click the search button, in the Sessions window the 'My Session' multiplayer game will appear.
user posted image
Click the join button and you will be in the session!

---

Method 2) Connecting from the main FS2004 screen.

Step 1.
Start FS2004.

Step 2.
From the main FS2004 screen select Multiplayer and then Open Multiplayer Session.
user posted image

Step 3.
Into the player name box put a name of your choice. (Use your NZFF username so other members know who they are flying with!)

Into the IP address box put 203.114.130.15 (The Inspire.net.nz Server)

Click the search button, in the Sessions window the Inspire.net.nz 'My Session' multiplayer game will appear.
user posted image
Click the join button and you will be in the session! Once you are connected a textbox will appear and you can chat to other members via instant messaging or on teamspeak.

Please note:
First up, select your aircraft as normal. Bear in mind though, if you select an aircraft that someone doesn't have installed on their system, you will appear to the other player as the same plane they are flying, or ... a Cessna.
Two IMPORTANT settings when flying online are Ignore Crashes and Frame Rate. If you touch another aircraft it will cause a collision unless Ignore Crashes is off.
When you connect to a Multiplayer session, all PC's interconnect with each other (so if you cannot connect check your firewall/router ports/Nortons etc), and data is transferred to each PC based on the number of frames per second the sim is rendering. PLEASE, set it to no more than 25.
Last edited by ardypilot on Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5-2400|8GB RAM|ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)|1TB Seagate Barracuda|Windows 7 64 Bit|FSX Gold Edition|24" AOC Widescreen
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby ardypilot » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:52 pm

You can also check the Inspire Server Status Page anytime to find out who is online ;)
Last edited by ardypilot on Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5-2400|8GB RAM|ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)|1TB Seagate Barracuda|Windows 7 64 Bit|FSX Gold Edition|24" AOC Widescreen
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Mattnz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:32 pm

flightsimaviator wrote:
QUOTE(flightsimaviator @ Oct 2 2007, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, do if you have a wireless internet connection, can you still be in the multiplayer game online? And with the teamspeak do you need a headset? Becuase the pc I have got has got wireless connection. Cheers FSA.

I've got a wireless connection, and I have had quite a few problems connecting on multiplayer. I don't know if it in fact is the wireless that is causing this, or something else on my computer, or just perhaps the way my wireless router is configured.
Mattnz
Sim-holic

Postby Mattnz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Mattnz
Sim-holic

Postby ardypilot » Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 am

Is 203.114.130.15 still the NZFF server on Inspire.net?[/quote]
Yes, NZFF members still regually use Inspire.net for multiplayer, but we don't own it in anyway. It is just a kiwi based server which we choose to play on, but people from all over the world are also welcome to with us- generally there are more kiwis online than foreigners, but it depends what time of the day you are online.
Last edited by ardypilot on Wed May 14, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardypilot
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby steelsporran » Fri May 09, 2008 11:37 am

Check out other servers and players with this free program from: http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshostspy/
Last edited by steelsporran on Fri May 09, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelsporran

Postby Timmo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:39 pm

[Smack Talking]....or buy FSX and just play online out of the box [/Smack talkin]
Timmo
NZFF Pro

Postby ShaneG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 pm

If I may offer a small bit of info,

FS has some notorious Port forwarding issues, that are an unavoidable part of the game's code, regardless of which version you are using.

Microsoft kept the MP code from FS2002 and included it in FS9, and FSX to allow each sim to fly with each other, however, it introduced the problem of Port Forwarding.

After MANY hours of searching, and experimenting, and screaming (biggrin.gif) I finally found the answers, and made one bang of a tutorial explaining the problem,

and EXACTLY how to solve it.

It does take a little bit of time, but when completed, you will know that you are problem free,

and any issues that may occur, such as the "Player could not connect" message, will not be your fault. winkyy.gif

OPENING YOUR PORTS MADE EASY!
http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1252421080

We have virtually eliminated ALL multiplayer issues on our regular server with this method. plane.gif
ShaneG

Postby AndrewJamez » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:07 pm

The multiplayer guides on this site are somewhat dated now. Is everyone still using TeamSpeak 2 or is version 3 compatible with the server?? or do I have to have version 2
AndrewJamez
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi Andrew , I have now brought a channel , atl01.bargainvoice.com:7890 , this is the dedicated NZFF using Team Speak 3 , This currently up and running .

This currently is used for FSX and is used very often . What i want to do is start up the use with FS Host , get that sorted were we both FS9 and FSX will run together .

For those who need a little instruction , i will redo the 'A Dummys Guide to Basic Multiplayer' , simple go to the address above .

I want to clean up the original posts and bring the above address standard for all .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby AndrewJamez » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:06 am

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Sep 10 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Andrew , I have now brought a channel , atl01.bargainvoice.com:7890 , this is the dedicated NZFF using Team Speak 3 , This currently up and running .

This currently is used for FSX and is used very often . What i want to do is start up the use with FS Host , get that sorted were we both FS9 and FSX will run together .

For those who need a little instruction , i will redo the 'A Dummys Guide to Basic Multiplayer' , simple go to the address above .

I want to clean up the original posts and bring the above address standard for all .

Cheers Ian. I will look into it as soon as I my get my newly built pc up and running. I am just about to power down the old one now. See you on the other side.
AndrewJamez
Sim-holic

Postby AndrewJamez » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Sep 10 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there a server IP address for FSX useres, I have been trying to connect using 230.114.130.15 and fsx does not find a connection.
AndrewJamez
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Andrew , most flights are very informal and run though direct contact by myself or others using the Team Speak 3 Channel address atl01.bargainvoice.com:7890 for the communication and general chat .

From here i normally run FSX MULTIPLAYER through Signed into GameSpy , this requires you to Create a New Account and get a Gamespy password.

Makes it so easy to connect once you have a Mic setup with TS3 , be able to talk you through any problems that arise .

Most MPs can be setup any time off the day - on TS most the time .

The early posting by Trolley is dated , basic FS2004 setup . Ive been meaning to update the site but circumstance slowed me up for last many weeks.

You also can contact me on MSN @ warrenian@hotmail.com
Last edited by Ian Warren on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby AndrewJamez » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Thanks Ian, I am familier with the gamespy hosting and use it occansionaly, just thought there was a server you guys were using for FSX like you do for FS9.
AndrewJamez
Sim-holic

Postby Ian Warren » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Completely free and for all to use , TeamSpeak3 ... http://teamspeak.com/?page=downloads .

You can chat freely about any Flight Simulation subject or even just blow the brezze,come to just to say 'hi' and meet NZFF members and many from all over the world .
Now you here , Simply install the address , atl01.bargainvoice.com: Port 7890
You also have the ability to post links using The Main Foyer to transfer links and data .

This will give you a good start , i still need to edit it properly
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Re: A Dummys Guide to Basic Multiplayer

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:41 pm

For those who used Teamspeak on your older XP machines and now stopped working this is why.

The reason for this is, we really need some fundamental data to be able to make future decisions, for example whether we need support for certain operating systems. Right now we have no idea how many people are still running TeamSpeak on no longer supported systems like XP or OS X 10.6.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:36 pm

WOW.... :o ...!

This thread has just popped up to the top of my; "New Posts" list!

Multiplayer, something which I get involved with most days in my FS 2004 and FSX Sims!

It reminded me of the good-old-days, when FS 2002 and FS 2004 Multiplayer was really easy to get into...

Just a simple drop-down list in the Sim menu whilst playing, insert the IP address..search....found....connect...and away you go...easy-peasy!

Then along came FSX and "Gamespy", complicating everything.... :wacko:

Then MS dropped Gamespy and the World of Multiplayer for FSX instantly stopped!.... :( ...!

The only easy option for us then was to use "FS Host" as our Servers, and connect via "Chocolate Software" connection programs...>>>

http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost ... lient.html

This is the method that many of us still use for Multiplayer connection with FSX.
Works a treat, and the Servers are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

Little problems still crop up with the "Router Ports", resulting in some disconnections, but this problem has been discussed earlier in this Thread.

I get instant Multiplayer connections most/every day in my FSX with no problems, and a note of an FS Host IP address sent to a friend, or friends, can result in a group fly-out!

Unfortunately, due to the slight complication in FSX Multiplayer, many new-comers are unfamiliar with the use of Multiplayer, and therefore it rarely get used nowadays!

The FSX Multiplayer Sky can be extremely empty!.... :( ...!

Paul....using FS Host Spy and FS Host Client!... :rockon: ...!
Fozzer

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:52 pm

It is bad for the regulars who toiled in the MP with the older PC-OS .. I need the XP for the some off my hardware I use .. I need another PC :)
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Ian... :wink2: ...

Is this a recent problem that has cropped up with the designers of; "Teamspeak"?

...and only affects Teamspeak users?

Paul....typing in a Chat Window!..... :lol: ...!
Fozzer

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Chat windows are fine , but when in a MP flying communications are a real requirement, its really the added real feel , once you tried it , control tower - aircraft carrier or formation flying it really works.
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Next

Return to Multiplayer