Cross the Ditch 13: Summer 2016
It's December and summer once again in the Southern Hemisphere... Thousands will take to the waters of Australasia's harbour cities... But we're taking to the skies; it's time to Cross the Ditch!
- Check out the details at the official Cross the Ditch website
- Apply to provide ATC
- Book your Flights now!
- View the Full Event Schedule
- Check out the Virtual Airline Leaderboard
- Grab the recommended add-on scenery for each of the event airports
- Get the official promotional material and promote Cross the Ditch within your community/organisation/contact list!
What's it all about?
For twenty hours this December, the skies over the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand will be filled with aircraft all on a mission to Cross the Ditch.
An example of that typical down-under understatement, this "ditch" is over 1100nm wide. The flight routes all range from two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half hours flight time.
Throughout the event, the Oceania region's two divisions - VATNZ and VATPAC - will be providing full ATC coverage, in the Southern Hemisphere's premiere oceanic event.
This is a great opportunity to experience Oceanic flying without the need to commit to an eight-hour flight!
If you're new to Oceanic Flying, our reporting tool makes taking part a breeze.
This twenty hour event is timed to allow pilots from all over the world join the fun:
- UTC: Saturday 10th December 2016 17:00 - Sunday 11th December 2016 13:00
- AEDT: Sunday 11th December 2016 04:00 - Monday 12th December 2016 00:00
- NZDT: Sunday 11th December 2016 06:00 - Monday 12th December 2016 02:00
This season's event is organised in waves. Each airport will have a three-to-four hour departure window, during which time flights will be able to leave for the next destination. As the window closes, the departure window will open at the next destination.
Given each of the flights is 2.5 - 3.5hrs in length, the previous wave's flights will be arriving at the same airport as the next wave departs, maximising the amount of traffic at each airport.
NOTE: in order to ensure that you have ATC coverage throughout your flight, you MUST fly the wave route that is active at the time of your departure.
The individual routes are designed to ensure as much opposing traffic enroute as possible.
Each flight passes from one Oceania division to the other, and the result is six mini-flyins over the course of twenty hours!
The Wave Route and Departure Windows for Cross the Ditch 13 - Summer 2016 are:
- Wave 1 : 1700-1930z : Christchurch (NZCH) to Melbourne (YMML)
- Wave 2 : 1930-2330z : Melbourne (YMML) to Rotorua (NZRO) (B737/A320 and smaller) / Melbourne (YMML) to Auckland (NZAA) (Large aircraft only)
- Wave 3 : 2300-0300z : Rotorua (NZRO) to Brisbane (YBBN) (B737/A320 and smaller) / Auckland (NZAA) to Brisbane (YBBN) (Large aircraft only)
- Wave 4 : 0300-0700z : Brisbane (YBBN) to Wellington (NZWN)
- Wave 5 : 0600-1000z : Wellington (NZWN) to Sydney (YSSY)
Calling all Pilots and Controllers
Flight plans are available from the Flight Plans section.
Book your flights now from the Flight Bookings page. Bookings made on this site help us plan for the event, and will also show up in vroute.
Controllers wanting to get in on the action can also apply now at the event's ATC Applications page.
Cross the Ditch is brought to you by VATNZ and VATPAC.