Compressing Videos

A forum to share your FS video clips and movies

Postby ZK-MAT » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:04 am

Here's how I make my videos smaller.

I used to make videos then spent way too much time trying to find acceptable compression methods to get it small enough to share online. It was a hit and miss approach until I found Auto Gordian Knot (Link to AGK Homepage).

Let me explain (please note this is an IL2 video, not FS2004, but I didn't have any recent FS examples):

After recording my footage with Fraps I had some really large, short avi's.

user posted image

They were compiled using U-Lead Video studio and the finished product compiled as a mpeg:

user posted image

The end result is 35 MB, which is too large to email or upload to YouTube, Photobucket or Google:

user posted image

Open Auto Gordian Knot and select the mpeg file you want to work with (Input File), it renames it as an avi for the Output File), advanced settings allow you to choose what codec to use, I use xDiv), choose a size that will be suitable (I chose 8 megs here), then click Add Job.

user posted image

Now click Start and the process will begin:

user posted image

You are able to then use the end result to upload elsewhere.

I used to use Google to store my videos, and most of my FS related ones are there. The quality they reduce it to is low, so they look rather washed out. I now use YouTube. It's faster to get your video uploaded and public, and the quality is better. Links to my videos are below my signature.

The above video may be seen HERE

Hope this info was useful,

Matt
ZK-MAT

Topic author

Postby Charl » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Great post!
I have used VirtualDub previously, which uses DIV-X compression.
It's full capabilities are way beyond a simple flightsimmer like me, although I did manage a clip or two.
One frustration I had is that you'd better be sure it's the final product, as it doesn't edit cleanly after compressing.
I also found limited benefit if you output to WMV format, so abandoned the whole exercise.
Many thanks for the pointer to Auto Gordian Knot, I'm headed off there now to have a look.
Nice thing about this forum is uploads can be 100MB.
Since the video streams back, file size may be less of an issue than before.
So I'm looking forward to some good-quality NZ video in the future!
Edit:
I tried Auto Gordian Knot, and I see it also uses VirtualDub.
It doesn't seem to want to do 16:9 video though - I had a flurry of warnings from the firewall and my computer shut down.
Not rebooted, mind, but quite dead. As in: lean over and push the start button.
I may stick to big fat video files for a while, or just save as WMV.
Last edited by Charl on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby happytraveller » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:10 am

I installed the program, but found that it does not support wmv file types. I am wondering if the best thing to do it is to save TWO copies when you are finally stitching the videos together, a high resolution one for prviate use, and a low res. copy for uploading the web. Might be an easier solution than running your main copy through this program.

But computers are never easy!!

smooth landings.
happytraveller

Postby ZK-MAT » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 am

Wow I have forgotten about this - being 5 years old there are many newer and good video post production tools out there now. To be honest I haven't done any video editing for quite some time and so are not up with what's available now...
ZK-MAT

Topic author

Postby creator2003 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:46 am

i just use quicktime plugins and save/render off as mpeg4 720X480 outta sony vegas ,another way ive found that works is if i put all vid files in editor render of as windows/cd avi save movie ,then open in window live movie maker and export or save movie with the built in windows plugins which compress pretty well 1.4 gig down to 150mb at most with the right settings .
youtube now take bigger uploaded files anyway ,id be interested to hear some other settings/ways for HD movies .
creator2003
NZFF Pro

Return to FS Videos