TrackIR 5

A forum to share your FS video clips and movies

Postby Charl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:23 pm

I've held out against TrackIR because I had hoped face-recognition technology would do away with the geeky headgear.
But Santa kindly left one under the tree this year, so...
I also put some Zinertek water into my NZ sim, and went to Marlborough.
Always a pleasure, as you can tell, from the length of time I spent just doing not very much else but enjoying the ride!

And everyone who owns a TrackIR has told me how crazy I was to wait this long.
I fear they are right.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Had Greg try out the one i have here , another piece off hardware required , no good for you airliners but a wicked unit for your WWII fighters , helicopters and your sports planes .
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Ian Warren wrote:
QUOTE (Ian Warren @ Jan 6 2012,2:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...no good for you airliners...

Disagree strongly!

I never liked VC flying airliners previously but this makes all the difference, as you can lean in and freeze the view.

You need a really good VC, say Capsim, to make it come alive.
One of the best flights was in the C130!
Last edited by Charl on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby captainherc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Still have this on my wish list. Birthday up in 6 months so fingers crossed.
captainherc
Forum Addict

Postby deeknow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah I love mine, mostly use in GA, but some airliners are ok too, depends greatly on the VC of course
Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
X570 Mini-ITX m/b - Ryzen5 3600 (6c/12t) - RTX 2060-super - 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 - Win10 - P3Dv5
deeknow
NZFF Pro

Postby Ian Warren » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Airliners , have not tried normally because the finger tip setup .... but is supremely idea for ya A2A fighter products cool.gif
Ian Warren
NZFF Pro

Postby mfraser » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Fantastic video Charl........ still rocking FS9 - a man after my own heart!! I haven't tried Zinertek before but I'll have to check it out after seeing that video!! I First thought it must've been somewhere over Italy judging by the music!! tongue.gif
mfraser
Sim-holic

Postby zkcav » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Welecome to the new diamention in FS Charl. From the vid it looks like you are a convert. I wouldn't be without it now. 3 Tips from some who has used it almost daily for 3 years.

1 - I had a lot of freezing issues (I'm not sure if you are using the Track clip pro or the passive reflecter - I use the active pro) they were plugged into the same USB port using the supplied Y cable. That that the problem, put them on sepperate USB ports and they got enough power.

2 - every once in a while mine isn't detected or stops working when I close a flight and then open a new one. Solution hot unplug from the TIR from the usb port and replug.

3 - When using in the day normal curtains dont block suns IR and screw up the receiver. I had a blanket pinned over the window frame until 3 weeks ago, when I installed a thermal lining on the curtains and velcro spots sewn to the curtain and staped to the wall to hold it close.

Hope these tips help you or any other TIR users in the future

Paul
Takeoff's are optional. Landings are mandatory.
zkcav
Forum Addict

Postby Charl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:39 pm

mfraser wrote:
QUOTE (mfraser @ Jan 6 2012,10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic video Charl........ still rocking FS9 - a man after my own heart!! I haven't tried Zinertek before but I'll have to check it out after seeing that video!! I First thought it must've been somewhere over Italy judging by the music!! tongue.gif
Ya get what I'm listening to at the time, I'm afraid... I got Zinertek water and also environment, just to see. I'm quite pleased with them both, also on sale the price was pretty attractive!

Thanks Paul, for the tips.
I'll switch to a separate USB as I have had a freeze or 2 using the Pro Clip.

Although, I stuck some Coreflute in the 2 high level windows behind my work station, and now the cap reflector can track in daylight OK!
It's not quite as accurate, but no wires is a plus.
I'll feel my way as I go... using the "camera" display helps sort out the hot spots.

TrackIR is quite a hog - I put it on its own core and it ate up all the CPU available.
Just a few more bits of hardware and hi-def software, and I may have to upgrade to an I7 to run my FS9 installs...
Last edited by Charl on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby Sinz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Charl wrote:
QUOTE (Charl @ Jan 6 2012,2:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've held out against TrackIR because I had hoped face-recognition technology would do away with the geeky headgear.
But Santa kindly left one under the tree this year, so...
I also put some Zinertek water into my NZ sim, and went to Marlborough.
Always a pleasure, as you can tell, from the length of time I spent just doing not very much else but enjoying the ride!

And everyone who owns a TrackIR has told me how crazy I was to wait this long.
I fear they are right.

MMMmmm I can see this becoming a very expensive hobby. I have been looking at TrackIR5 and the Saitek stuff as well. unsure.gif

Sinz
Sinz

Postby scrubcutter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Can't recommend TIR enough! Worth every cent. Have had my old TIR 3 system for 8 years and it is still going strong. I started into it with IL2 long before I changed to MSFS and I can't handle sim flying without it. I know some old die-hards like 2D panels, but I was never privy to that, my only experience of 2D being CFS and CFS2. VC is the only way to go in my opininion, and when you get proficient with TIR, all motion within the VC feels natural. I usually freeze it off and on when I am going through start-up/ shut down procedures, but outside that it is essential. With 6DOF, you can also get a realistic experience taxiing a tail dragger fighter by hanging your head out on the outside of S-turns to see where you're going. No emoticons to give it a 5 star rating, so a 5+ groupwave groupwave.gif
Image ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3R
Intel Core i5 750
Gigabyte GV N98TOC, 1 Gig
4 Gig DDR-3 RAM
Western Digital 7200RPM, 1TB primary HDD
" " " 640GB Game drive
Windows 7 64 Bit enabled
Track IR3 (TrackIR_4.1.038.Final Software)
Logitech G940 Flight System
scrubcutter
Forum Addict

Return to FS Videos