Flying helicopters

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Flying helicopters

Postby iwik » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:02 am

Hi Guys,
For many years i have wanted to fly helicopters in Fsim. Many times i have tried and became frustrated and failed miserably.
I have ready many threads with tips for beginners but the results end up the same.
Some say it is nigh on impossible with just a joystick. Others have said you really need to modify the yoke to remove tension
around the centre as that is where most control happens.
I tried just to hover but all i end up doing is spinning then crashing.
I am determined to master it. Can anyone offer any suggestions that may help.
Been flying fixed wing for a long time so would like to try something different.
Thanks
les
iwik

Topic author

Re: Flying helicopters

Postby chopper_nut » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:24 pm

Wow, I could type a lot here. Perseverance is the key really but there are a number of important concepts to grasp. If you're using FSX/P3D, it doesn't really equate to reality. Helisimmer has a series of articles about getting familiar with how rotary wing aircraft fly. The control setup is vitally important and there is an article in that link about that. Dedicated helicopter controls aren't necessary. Pedals definitely help and having a stick where you can compress or remove the spring. Lot's to learn but by god it's good fun. Have a read through all of that and then have a go. If you have any problems, send me a message.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby iwik » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:17 pm

Thanks Chopper_nut.
I will start with removing all springs from the joystick. See if that helps me.
Regards
les
iwik

Topic author

Postby chopper_nut » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Very small movements and without the springs in the stick, fingertip pressure only. The articles on Helisimmer detail all of the little things that are happening when you're flying so make sure you read up on those too.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:56 pm

I still have the springs in my Logitech 3D Pro. It obviously isn't quite so 'easy' but it is ok.
However, I had a set of Saitek pedals and I removed the 'z' rotation on the joystick so it didn't conflict; that makes a huge difference.
I also have the Saitek TPM and the throttle is collective & throttle combined and in my setup this I feel is by far the biggest limitation.
Finally, I found that in order of 'feel' single screen was poorest, TrackIR is 'ok, VR (despite other issues) was best.
When I get back to my sim, it will be helis and VR and I'm hoping to buy some proper heli controls ... I did reach out to a company, can't remember which one now, but they didn't reply which was a little disappointing.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby chopper_nut » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:47 pm

If the springs are soft then it's not too bad but most aren't. Unless the helicopter has force trim then you're constantly pushing against the stick which gets old really quick. I found that when I transitioned to XP11, the biggest thing that I was lacking was pedals. Most helicopters run at a constant RPM so a dedicated throttle control isn't really necessary unless you're flying an ungoverned Hughes 300 or Bell 47. Yes depth perception is a big thing with rotary flying and VR is definitely the way to go although it requires a fairly hefty rig in order to run it at FPS that doesn't make you puke your guts out. I don't have Track IR or VR though and I do OK. The only thing that I can't really do is sling loading.... but then again, I'm not very good at that in the real world either..... Anybody interested in rotary wing flying should check out Helisimmer for all their helicopter needs. There's some really good XP helicopters, a few good P3D FSX helicopters and a handful of DCS ones reviewed on there. There are several facebook groups that are an excellent support service for learning to fly helis.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby iwik » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks Guys,
All comments appreciated and noted. Just trying to find time to remove all springs.
Jeff:
I know of a guy who had a set of Komodo gear(i think) he was going to sell.
If you want i can ask him if they are still for sale?
les
iwik

Topic author

Postby chopper_nut » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 am

Komodo gear is excellent although it's supremely expensive. PFT Puma is the way most people go. $2k USD I think for a complete set that you can assemble.
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 am

Not right now, but thanks for thinking of me. There won't be any money in the budget for a couple/three years while I pay for my paragliding gear, the broken lawn mower, the broken car, a new puppy and an 'enforced' family trip to Aus later this year for an 80th. That pretty much takes care of all moneys for the foreseeable future!
I think it was the Puma stuff I was looking at and sent email about, but I cannot recall exactly. Looked like good gear, whatever it was.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby iwik » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Thats fine, looks like your fsim gear has a very low priority.
iwik

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:56 am

Yeah. I don't even have my gear setup right now. I took it down and turned the rig to car racing for the little fella, who was real excited for about a day, and then for the last few weeks ... nothing. Might put it back to sim again soon. When I do get computer time, I'm tending to play Ark Survival Evolved ... but frankly getting a little bored of that too. I think puppy might be consuming some of my time with exercise and training over the coming months!
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
jpreou
Forum Addict

Return to General