MS Flight Simulator 2020 - Is this a New Zealand Screenshot?

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

MS Flight Simulator 2020 - Is this a New Zealand Screenshot?

Postby ScottyB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:05 am

Been a while since I have been around here - been busy with real world flying. This new MS Flight Simulator has rekindled my simming excitiment - I am just over the such ancient ways of P3D and other current sims - the platforms are so outdated and the fact we are in 2019 and can only achieve moderate levels of performance with relatively average graphics has put me off things recently.

But, this new one looks a game-changer.

I was watching this video today on YouTube and saw this screenshot - does anybody else think this looks a little bit like Glenorchy area (top of Lake Wakatipu)?

Interested to know your thoughts on the incoming next-gen sim.

ScottyB
Sim-holic

Topic author

Re: MS Flight Simulator 2020 - Is this a New Zealand Screenshot?

Postby Radar88 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:13 am

ScottyB wrote:Been a while since I have been around here - been busy with real world flying. This new MS Flight Simulator has rekindled my simming excitiment - I am just over the such ancient ways of P3D and other current sims - the platforms are so outdated and the fact we are in 2019 and can only achieve moderate levels of performance with relatively average graphics has put me off things recently.

But, this new one looks a game-changer.

I was watching this video today on YouTube and saw this screenshot - does anybody else think this looks a little bit like Glenorchy area (top of Lake Wakatipu)?

Interested to know your thoughts on the incoming next-gen sim.

Hi ScottyB

That's what I thought when it was first revealed a couple of months back on the Microsoft Flight Simulator Insider webpage when they released a short teaser video. It had a coding background under view Page Source label titled LakeTekapoApril.jpg which gave it away.

It's indeed very similar looking to the Glenorchy area but in fact is the Lake Tekapō north western end, you will also see in the same video from time stamp 2:00 Sydney, Australia then transitioning @ 2:05 - 2:09 you get a glimpse of the powerful Bing Maps satellite imagery data and the computing power of Microsoft Azure to generated scenery of the North Island, New Zealand. Central Plateau region showing the distinct Mount Ngauruhoe in the forefront and Mount Tongariro. With the Rangipo Desert Road on the right side of a left hand moving flyover shot on the unseen northern side of Mount Ruapehu.

It's going to be a real game-changer to look forward to, with direct real time weather data and satellite imagery data input via a process known as procedural generation, that uses data algorithms in convergence through the use of Microsoft Azure cloud based platform to produce Artificial Intelligence AI, 3D models and textures.

As seen in the brief glimpse of the Central Plateau fly over. They are showing real time weather data generation that appears to show case intermittent passing showers in the region, with a distinct localized shower drop column seen on the left western side of Mount Tongariro and misty showers on the top right in the vicinity of the unseen Lake Taupo at the Tūrangi end, through the morning sunlight refraction misty haze.

For those that have not seen the video, here's the link New Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Episode 1 (WORLD) Insider Update October 10 Full Episode

The discussion thread is found under the Announcements topic MS Flight Sim in 2020 if you're after everyone's thoughts on the incoming next-gen sim.
Radar88

Return to General