fsx nz add on scenery

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

fsx nz add on scenery

Postby drummerdave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi, I am a long time FS user and am using FS9 with Carenado Add ons and all of snaowmans scenery/. I am going to upgrade my pc and am looking to but FSX steam addition. Before I purchase, where can I get all of Snowmans add on NZ airports and is FSX Steam a good purchase. I will be using Windows 10.

many thanks
Dave
drummerdave

Topic author

Re: fsx nz add on scenery

Postby Aharon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 am

drummerdave wrote: is FSX Steam a good purchase. I will be using Windows 10.

Drummerdave,

Everybody is going to scream and tell you to buy P3D or XP-11. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you still insist on FSX, buy FSX Deluxe and get free SP1 and SP2 update. That is what I did. I am avoiding FSX Steam because I do not want my laptop to be held hostage to Dovetail website.

If you want, you can wait and see release of new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020.

I am simply happy with FSX although I am afraid I would have to join public's mass hysteria of liking P3Dv4.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Postby drummerdave » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm

many thanks, will go with P3D
drummerdave

Topic author

Postby chopper_nut » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:44 pm

Just be aware that the future of 'home use' of P3D is in doubt with Microsoft taking the license back from Dovetail. I suspect that the academic license might vanish...
chopper_nut
NZFF Pro

Postby Aharon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:42 am

drummerdave wrote:many thanks, will go with P3D

Beware that P3D requires powerful computer :)

Nothing wrong with having both FSX and P3D.

I shall stick with FSX for years. HEY famous Toprob is going to release brand new payware FSX version of NZCH!!!

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Sim-holic

Postby harold » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Interesting comment about P3D use being not made available once MDF2020 comes on line. Would be interested in any background to that statement.
I moved to P3Dv4.5 after migrating from FSX boxed to Steam and also got fed up with being tied to the massive Dovetail gaming platform.
I have not looked back, P3D academic has been fantastic. My airline pilot son has been training me up to a good standard on GA and now has introduced me to bigger jet with the PMDG 737 NGX.
the realism is stunning and with Orbx real world scenery (particularly NZ and the UK) I could not wish for better. I have a good mid range machine and t 72 am loving this hobby.
harold

Postby harold » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:00 pm

to Ahrons post above, Flightbeam have an amazing NZWN package and are working had on one for NZAA.
harold

Postby Radar88 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:49 pm

harold wrote:Interesting comment about P3D use being not made available once MDF2020 comes on line. Would be interested in any background to that statement.

I'm guessing that the background to that statement is that the premise stems from Microsoft Flight Simulator X FSX being a consumer game title created in 2006 by Aces Game Studio a Microsoft departmental division that was responsible for creating and maintaining the Flight Simulator series. At the time in 2006 it was available worldwide in the consumer retail market and licensed for home entertainment use only.

Flight Simulator X FSX was not designed or licensed for any commercial use. It was being supported through the standard Microsoft retail product support services. The SDK and development tools were included with the Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition but are not supported by Microsoft.

So to the background of the statement further.

In late 2007, Aces Game Studio announced the Microsoft ESP (Enterprise Simulation Platform), a development platform for companies that wanted to create products, that use the technology in the Flight Simulator series. Microsoft® ESP™ (ESP) is -a commercially driven visual simulation development platform.

ESP is distributed through Microsoft’s global enterprise volume-licensing and ISV Royalty (ISVR) channels, and is licensed for the development of commercial solutions and applications development. ESP has two SKUs: the ESP client edition and the ESP SDK. The ESP SKUs are supported through Microsoft’s enterprise and volume-licensing product support program offerings.

ESP is also included in the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscription program, which provides additional technical information to program subscribers. The ESP SDK provides the ability to create and define custom flight models, a runtime designed to support deployed solutions, a strong focus on custom structured experiences or missions, several options to customize the user experience, a streamlined user interface, and many other features.

In January 2009 Microsoft closed down it's Aces Game Studio departmental division. With an announcement on the official FSInsider Web site. Stating "This difficult decision was made to align Microsoft's resources with our strategic priorities. Microsoft Flight Simulator X will remain available at retail stores and Web retailers, the Flight Sim community will continue to learn from and encourage one another, and we remain committed to the Flight Simulator franchise for the long term."

However a former Aces Game Studio employee reported at the time, that the disbandment of Aces Game Studio was not due to poor sales of FSX but was due to management issues and delays in project delivery, combined with increased demand for staff. Speculation at the time in the mainstream and gaming media was that future versions could be released as an Internet-based version, or on the Microsoft's Xbox platform.

Lockheed Martin announced in late 2009 that they had negotiated with Microsoft a licensing agreement to purchase the intellectual property (including source code) for the Microsoft ESP product. This is the commercial-use version of Flight Simulator X SP2. On May 17, 2010, Lockheed announced that the new product based upon the ESP source code would be called Prepar3D (P3D). Lockheed hired members of the original Aces Game Studio team to continue development of the product.

In November 2010, Lockheed Martin debuted Prepar3D 32-bit version 1. Version 1.1 was released in April 2011, with a retail license cost of US$499. A developer license is also available for a monthly fee of US$9.95. In March 2012, along with the release of version 1.3, the pricing strategy was revised. The Professional edition was then made available for US$199, with an Academic License available for US$59.95.

After releasing P3D 32-bit version 2 of the product in 2013 and then P3D 32-bit version 3 of the product in 2015, the LM team released a redeveloped 64-bit version 4 in May 2017.

Meanwhile back in July, 2014, Dovetail Games announced that Microsoft had granted them rights to develop the next Flight Simulator in the series. Dovetail Games also announced that they would be re-releasing the Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition on Steam for late 2014.

In December, 2014, Dovetail Games re-released Flight Simulator X FSX on Steam with the title Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. It included the same content that was provided with the original FSX: Gold Edition which includes FSX: Deluxe Edition, the Acceleration expansion pack and both official Service Packs and repackages them in one bundle and a single installation.

In May 2017, Dovetail Games announced the next Flight Simulator "Flight Sim World", based on the Microsoft 32 Bit code-base of Flight Simulator X, and released their own 64 Bit "Flight Sim World", later that month Only a year later, on April 23, 2018, Dovetail announced end of development of Flight Sim World and the end of sales effective May 15, 2018.

I don't think any of the previous Post's comments were intended to be about the LM P3D product not being made available once MDF2020 comes on line.

The uptake revolves around the use of the P3D Academic License product which is US$59.95

It is this cheaper license format that might vanish or no longer be made available for general use by LM.

As many people are Non Real Life in-training Pilots within the flight sim community, who are not involved with Academic Education who are currently using the Academic License version in breach of the actual Lockheed Martin END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA")

"1. License Grant. Subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a nontransferable, non-sub licenseable, nonexclusive license during the Term of this EULA to use the Software: (1) on a single computer, (2) by no more than one user at any one time, (3) in connection with Academic Education, (4) by students, instructors and staff associated with Licensee's Academic Education, (5) in the Territory, and (6) for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment."

At a guess Lockheed Martin has turned a blind eye to this General personal/consumer entertainment Use practice as it would be difficult for them to police the General Non Academic Education usage in individuals within the privacy of their Home entertainment environment. The only way to circumvent and prevent this type of behavioural practice at large, would be to remove and not making available the P3D Academic License for which it was originally intended, Only for Students, Instructors and Staff associated with Licensee's Academic Flight Training Pilot Education.

Since the announcement was made by The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team and with the development of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. The flight sim community is now eagerly awaiting to see how this is going to pan out in the wider scheme of future flight sims being a competitive market place.

Steam FSX SpacePort

Lockheed Martin P3D developers appear to have remained fairly much silent on the topic, since the new Microsoft Flight Simulator reported announcement was made that it was coming in 2020.

At a speculative guess, they LM are doing their own thing in development terms. Much like Laminar Research are doing with X Plane 11 and it maybe a wait and see what develops in the flight sim community as they LM are solely developing for a commercial training-use professional product purposes.

Hence it is likely to be a Lockheed Martin money making venture as to why they might be turning a blind eye to a widely speculative abuse of the intended P3D Academic License.

After all why pay for an expensive Professional License US $199.00 per license when everyone globally can get access to P3D at a much cheaper price with the Academic License being US$59.95 per license, regardless of what's in the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA") who really reads the fine print in those types of documents anyway.

It will depend on re-entry of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator and it's up-take in the current flight sim market place as it to, how much of a future impact it has on the sales $$$ of Lockheed Martin's P3D Academic License of US $59.95

Lockheed Martin may need to re-evaluate their Licensing model structure for P3D. As they are primarily a global aerospace, defense, security and advanced technologies company with worldwide commercial interests.

P3D will not likely vanish as such, we may still see it around. It's availability could be in a different purchasing format such as a Professional Flight Training License product, if the hyper uptake of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator is a possibility of being a success for Microsoft.

I see the co-existence in the market place for users of all Flight Sims inclusive of Microsoft Flight Simulator, P3D, X-Plane, Aerofly FS 2, FSX, FSX Steam Edition, Infinite Flight, FlyInside Flight Simulator.

Sorry for getting somewhat off the actual Post Topic from

drummerdave wrote:where can I get all of Snowmans add on NZ airports. many thanks Dave

The Snowmans add on NZ airports links are are found under the South Pacific FlightSim Scenery Topic FSX: NEW ZEALAND Airport Sceneries List & Links

Trust that this has been an interesting and informative, insight read for everyone, as we move forward into the new decade of the flight simming life cycles.
Radar88
Forum Addict

Postby Adamski » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 pm

Radar88 wrote:Trust that this has been an interesting and informative, insight read for everyone, as we move forward into the new decade of the flight simming life cycles.

Definitely - yes - and I appreciate the time it must have taken to compile and write! :rockon:

Adam.
Adamski
NZFF Pro

Return to General