Piper Cub VR sim advice for NZ wilderness

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Piper Cub VR sim advice for NZ wilderness

Postby lonewheel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi,

My first post asking for advice... :wink2:

I’ve just brought an Occulus Rift for the family but secretly plan to get into flight sims. I really want to learn to VR fly a piper cub into Kiwi backcountry strips... and maybe WWII Spitfire action... can any of you advise which application I should choose for the most realistic VR piper cub experience for kiwi landscapes and flying (I’m also interested in plugging in actual weather etc if possible). I’m ok with computer tech stuff but haven’t played games before.

Cheers
Shaun (Chch)
lonewheel

Topic author

Re: Piper Cub VR sim advice for NZ wilderness

Postby jpreou » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:55 am

Any flight sim experience at all Shaun?
I'm in ChCh (well, Rolleston) running Prepar3D v4.1 NZ only.
You *might* do ok with XPlane but I have not used it so cannot comment; I'm sure someone will jump in on that.
I can tell you that P3D with Orbx region scenery and Rob's airports and areas are pretty darn good.
I tried VR but decided it wasn't for me as I have a pseudo-cockpit setup and TrackIR instead.
My rig is capable of VR, but my brain is not! I hired a Vive Pro for a week but found I got nausea.
Be happy to help. You can PM me if you like.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby lonewheel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:25 am

Hi, thanks for the info. So much to learn! I don’t have any SIM experience and I’m expecting to be using Google a lot at the start but first off I thought I find out what the experienced guys recommended for NZ. I appreciate your advice and offer of help. Cheers
lonewheel

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 am

No problem, you can contact me initially via the "Private Message" part of this forum and we can get in contact for real if needed. You are welcome to come see P3D first hand.

I run Prepar3D, with Orbx North Island and South Island regions and their add-on airports. For weather I am using Active Sky and Cloud Art, but REX products are also good. I think Active Sky has the better weather engine (that may have changed - it swings back and forth), and the latest REX Skyforce may have the better cloud models (visually speaking). Either product will download real-time weather and inject it into the sim. I also run TrackIR for head movement tracking, so I can look around. Flight planning, when I can be bother, I do with old pen and paper or PlanG (free!). I use REX Texture Direct for 'better' textures (runways, taxiways, water) and REX High Definition Buildings. Oh and ORBX HD trees. Finally, Robin Corn of Godzone does some wonderful photoreal areas, not quite updated for P3Dv4 yet but coming, as well as airports. Nelson and Dunedin most definitely, ChCh on the way. He frequents here, so can nodount let you know, but head over to Godzone for a look.

I don't tend to purchase aircraft add-ons much as I love flying around VFR in the Baytower Vans RV7 or Vertigo Vans RV-8. Actually, I don't have the -8 installed at the moment, but I am currently heading south-ish from Napier in the -7 which is tooling along at 156kts GS with 9kts hitting my right wing. There is, of course, a Cub built into P3D but it is pretty basic. For more realism you'd maybe consider the J3 from A2A and the expansion pack which enhances it, both available for download from online sellers like Flight Sim Store.

Cheers
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Postby lonewheel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:40 pm

:D Awesome. That’s given me a really good steer on NZ options. There’s way more involved than I imagined and I’ll need to spend a bit of time at all the sites you’ve named. I’m not super fixed on a piper cub either so will check out those other small planes. It’s going to be fun times...
lonewheel

Topic author

Postby scaber » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Hi Sean
I purchased the Acer Mixed Reality goggles (had the chance to get them a bit cheaper than normal so I jumped) and have flown using it both in P3D v4 and XPlane-11. I've been pretty happy with how it works in both sims but still do most of my multii-player flying using the the screens on my desktop.

I'm in Spreydon so feel free to IM me if you want to drop by sometime and check things out or do some comparisons. Though, if you wear glasses these goggles are too tight but you still might be interested all the same.

Greg
scaber

Postby lonewheel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks Greg. I appreciate the offer. You guys are very accomodating. For me, I’m locked into using the Rift as that’s what the family wanted but I’m hoping to get myself setup to enjoy learning to fly (which I can’t afford except in VR) and exploring my favourite backcountry rivers etc. It sounds like I’ve a lot to learn to get everything together.
Cheers, Shaun
lonewheel

Topic author

Return to General