VR - sort of

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Re: VR - sort of

Postby NZ255 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for you report.
I had hoped the pro would be the one... but it looks like we'll wait for some 4K solution. I need my gauges :)
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Postby jpreou » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:43 am

Yep. Not for me right now I think. Resolution, field of focused vision, difficulty with external controls and the nausea. Not least; no budget for it!

Last night I spent 20 minutes hooning around a space station in Elite Dangerous, picking up a 400 credit fine for breaching protocol and trespassing inside when not cleared to do so! That resulted in spending the rest of the night recovering from a headache above my left eye! So no testing of P3D I'm afraid. I had thought that a quick cup of tea and recovery and I'd be back in the seat, but it was not to be.

I will have another play tonight, but I'm returning the gear now to Graham on Saturday afternoon as I am traveling part way to his place anyway so it makes sense.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby iwik » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:05 am

Thanks Jeff,
Much appreciated and your findings echoed my thoughts, immersive factor stunning but there is more to simming than the visuals.
I dont know if you have read the vR report on ontheglidescope.net. Interesting point of view from a pilot going thru his training.
Regards
Les
iwik

Postby jpreou » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Cheers Les; you are right, it isn't just about the visuals. I sometimes think, perhaps erroneously, that those that have invested in VR sing the praises in part because having dropped a bunch of dough there is some bias there; by hiring at 'relatively' low cost I like to think I have been a little more objective, though of course not completely unbiased as I did have a viewpoint prior to hire; I expected to be 'disappointed', but was really hoping not to be. VR has come a good distance though and at the current pace it won't be long for visuals to be there; even so, I think I will need /want more than just visuals, so the other aspects also need to come into play (tactile gloves, fully functional virtual cockpit?)
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Dinga » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:46 pm

jpreou wrote:Cheers Les; you are right, it isn't just about the visuals. I sometimes think, perhaps erroneously, that those that have invested in VR sing the praises in part because having dropped a bunch of dough there is some bias there; by hiring at 'relatively' low cost I like to think I have been a little more objective, though of course not completely unbiased as I did have a viewpoint prior to hire; I expected to be 'disappointed', but was really hoping not to be. VR has come a good distance though and at the current pace it won't be long for visuals to be there; even so, I think I will need /want more than just visuals, so the other aspects also need to come into play (tactile gloves, fully functional virtual cockpit?)

You did the smart thing hiring alright Jeff.Not sure I agree with your first statement, the wanting to stick with it because of the investment.
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby jpreou » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:40 pm

@dinga
It is just my skeptical opinion! As humans we do tend to talk up our expensive purchases even if they are less than we expected :D
But yes, for me, hiring was definitely the right choice. I probably won't look at VR again for another 18 months - 2 years unless there is some major break through.
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Radar88 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 pm

NZ255 wrote:Thanks for you report.
I had hoped the pro would be the one... but it looks like we'll wait for some 4K solution. I need my gauges :)

If you've been following the latest VR developments for the past year or so, you should be aware of the VR HMD market competition Pimax 8K. Which hopefully is due to arrive in the later half of this year.

With the release of the Pimax 8k this should hopefully start to bring down the prices even further. Although the Pimax 8K is somewhat of a misnomer as it two 4K screens one for each eye making it a pseudo 8K viewing experience.

Pimax VR

The Pimax 8K offers 200° Field of Vision (FOV),which is far closer to matching the natural human FOV of 220° Users can simply use their peripheral vision instead of constantly moving their head, making it a more intuitive experience.

With 8K VR (3840x2160 per eye) you hopefully should be able to dive into a world of more clarity in being able to read gauges.

So this would be the one to wait for, just to see how the VR Market reacts to if Pimax can sort out the initial R&D quality issues.

So it's very much a case of wait and see what happens over the next up coming 12 months in the advancement of VR Tech.

This Is What Elite Dangerous Looks Like On The Pimax 8K Headset

As for the HTC Vive Pro Linus Tech Tips Puts HTC Vive Pro On Blast For Its Overpricing And Many Other Issues
Last edited by Radar88 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radar88

Postby Dinga » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Looks like they will do well with that headset alright.Looks a bit ungainly though.If they can keep the weight down also as it looks heavier than Occulus.To drive that sucker in a flt sim you will need some serious horsepower.1080 ti at the least.Need to hold on till the 4080ti is released.
Dinga
Forum Addict

Postby Radar88 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Shane the Aus Flight Simmer from across the ditch in Aussie, has just done his latest Test Drive clip for X-Plane 11 and Prepar3D V4 in native VR

You can check out his thoughts and comparison between the two flight sims side by side in VR

Virtual Reality | X-Plane 11 Vs Prepar3D V4
Radar88

Postby jpreou » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am

That Pimax in ED certainly looks good :)
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
jpreou
Forum Addict

Topic author

Previous

Return to General