Advice needed

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Advice needed

Postby emfrat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:15 pm

I am trying to develop some arguments to justify the expense of a new 23" or 24" curved screen monitor to go with the new SuperBeast which will soon be online.
Could someone who uses one post a screenie from it? My main concern is distortion created when the curved screen is used for a 'flat' screen grab/print. I don't even know if that can happen, but I don't want to spend AUD 200-odd just to find that it does.
TIA
MikeW
MikeW
'Propliner' is actually short for 'Proper airliner, with big rumbly radials'

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Advice needed

Postby Charl » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 am

Mike curved screens do make pretty looking desk furniture but I am wondering what the functional advantage is?
24" is hardly wraparound viewing, and they cost a bit more than the flatscreen variety.

I am running an ultra-widescreen hi-res Dell as my primary display
http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty ... ll-u2913wm
and have never been happier.
The display clarity is exceptional... No good for 2D aircraft panels but I have moved on from those.

To answer the question: screenshots I have seen are not distorted when using a curved monitor.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:51 am

Thankyou Charl, that clears that up :thumbup:

MikeW
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby dbcunnz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Mike as you have seen I am using 3 screens and grabbing pics across the three screens doesn't show any joins just one pic as though there was just one very wide screen so I would presume that a curved screen would take the pic the same as a pic captured with a multi screen placing the 3 screens on different angels to each other doesn't affect the picture captured.

Pic captured over 3 screens
OnlineUser avatar
dbcunnz
NZFF Pro

Postby emfrat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:14 pm

Cheers Doug - I had been looking at some nice Samsung curved screens and there was one which I first thought had no bezel (like some phones/tablets). On closer inspection it had a very slim silvery coloured one. I think three of those, with their 3m radius screens would make up a nice cockpit. Then about 2 a.m. I had this daft idea about screenshots and couldn't shake it. :lol:

ATB
Mike
MikeW

emfrat
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby jpreou » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm running a 32" curved Samsung and like it. Bear in mind that wall mounting isn't as straight-forward with Samsung as it should be due to the desk mount bracket not officially being removable. I had to bring the wall mount out on standoffs. As far as curved vs flat; really not sure I'd notice in most situations; wouldn't probably need to go fly a same size flat to see, but when I changed to the curved I went up from 23" at the same time. Would I buy again? Probably, in all honesty, if I could get it on 'special' (which I did, from PB Tech).
-- Jeff, Rolleston, NZ
P3Dv4.x and a bunch of add-on stuff... some 'global' products, but otherwise NZ-only
jpreou
Forum Addict

Return to General