Proper Charts For Milford Sound Airport?

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Proper Charts For Milford Sound Airport?

Postby Aharon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 am

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I have access to all charts for Milford Sound airport but all charts contain worded explanations and there is NO chart to show the flight path or line toward runway like you see other airport charts.

Does anybody know if there is such chart existed that will show flight path with waypoints leading toward runway for Milford Sound airport?

Also, on this link http://www.vatnz.net/airspace/airport/NZMF, I read warning as seen below.

NOTE: there is a MAJOR bug with the NZMF in the default FSX scenery that results in an 850ft high airport-shaped plateau that shoots up from the floor of the sound. If you are using FSX you need to install this scenery update at this link http://www.skydivesingleton.net/creator ... SoundX.zip to fix the problem. FS2004 is not afflicted with this issue.

Unfortunately, the link for the scenery update does not work. Does anybody know where I can find the repair update for this airport please?

Thanks,

Aharon
Aharon
Forum Addict

Topic author

Re: Proper Charts For Milford Sound Airport?

Postby toprob » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:53 am

No clue about the charts, those are all I've ever seen.
That 'fix' is Mike Allen-Andrews' very nice Milford airport, but I don't think it is available any more. Since this problem only applies to the default FSX, I would imagine that most locals would have another 'base' addon for NZ, such as VLC or FTX NZ, so we don't come across this problem often... I'm not sure if the VLC fix would work in default, if you wish to try it I can let you have it.
There is another Milford airport available here, I've never tried this, as I use Mike's version. Worth a look though. And of course there's the very nice payware Orbx version for FTX NZ users.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Radar88 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:32 am

Shalom Aharon

As a Real world Pilot speaking from experience the Milford Sound Airport is a unique Aerodrome in New Zealand for the fact that it is surrounded by mountainous terrain which makes it impossible to have a straight in approach flight path.

The NZAIP Milford Sound Arrival/Departure Procedures Does not show a flight path or line toward runway like you see other airport charts for good reason which is that a direct line toward of the Milford runway is heading straight towards very high Mountains.

The Flight Path in and out is made visually due to the high mountainous terrain and is slightly curved.

I would recommend you read the NZ CAA Good Aviation Practice Safety Publication In, Out and Around Milford Sound

This will give you an actual idea of why there is No IFR Charts with Flight Paths depicted.

All Flights in and Out are conducted by Visual Flight Rule VFR Only hence why only worded explanations of what to look out for when flying VFR into Milford Sound.

Preferred Entry would be to Arrive and Enter from the Seaward West Coast side then Fly Eastly into the Sounds on the southern side of the Valley Walls all is explained in the In, Out and Around Milford Sound reference guide above.

Would also recommend looking at this excellent descriptive You Tube Clip it's done in P3D v 3.4

It demonstrates the Departure and Arrival Procedures accurately and includes a comparison between the real world and the flight sim world,
right at the very end of the clip as to what it looks like in a real word Flight Landing at Milford Sound

ORBX Milford Sound - Guided Tour plus real footage

Hope this helps appreciate the scenic beauty of this part of New Zealand
Radar88

Postby Aviator 1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 am

That is very useful information thank you for sharing.

Radar88 wrote:Shalom Aharon

As a Real world Pilot speaking from experience the Milford Sound Airport is a unique Aerodrome in New Zealand for the fact that it is surrounded by mountainous terrain which makes it impossible to have a straight in approach flight path.

The NZAIP Milford Sound Arrival/Departure Procedures Does not show a flight path or line toward runway like you see other airport charts for good reason which is that a direct line toward of the Milford runway is heading straight towards very high Mountains.

The Flight Path in and out is made visually due to the high mountainous terrain and is slightly curved.

I would recommend you read the NZ CAA Good Aviation Practice Safety Publication In, Out and Around Milford Sound

This will give you an actual idea of why there is No IFR Charts with Flight Paths depicted.

All Flights in and Out are conducted by Visual Flight Rule VFR Only hence why only worded explanations of what to look out for when flying VFR into Milford Sound.

Preferred Entry would be to Arrive and Enter from the Seaward West Coast side then Fly Eastly into the Sounds on the southern side of the Valley Walls all is explained in the In, Out and Around Milford Sound reference guide above.

Would also recommend looking at this excellent descriptive You Tube Clip it's done in P3D v 3.4

It demonstrates the Departure and Arrival Procedures accurately and includes a comparison between the real world and the flight sim world,
right at the very end of the clip as to what it looks like in a real word Flight Landing at Milford Sound

ORBX Milford Sound - Guided Tour plus real footage

Hope this helps appreciate the scenic beauty of this part of New Zealand
Aviator 1
Sim-holic

Postby Aharon » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:54 am

Toprob,

Thanks for your kind reply with your generous offer. Fortunately for me, I did conduct ground testings of Milford Sound Airport and did not see any problem. I guess Microsoft fixed that problem in FSX Deluxe version. And I am going to use the scenery as suggested by your link to FlyAwaysimulations's download center.

Radar88,

Thanks for your kind reply along with cool links showing useful information on that airport and surrounding areas. Funny thing is that in one of your links showing PDF bookets actually showed map with specific flight path arrows to runway!!! Also it is amazing to meet someone such as you who actually flew in real life to Milford Sound airport!!

Once again, many thanks to Toprob and Radar88 for very kind answers. I am thinking of using DC-3 or Cessna Grand Caravan or maybe 4 propeller Dash 7 plane with STOL ability to fly into Milford Sound airport for FIRST TIME. If Dash 7 plane can handle Courchevel Airport with 1,700 ft runway, then it should handle Milford Sound airport's 2,500 ft runway :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Forum Addict

Topic author

Postby Aharon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:22 am

Radar88,

Thanks for cool video links.

Regards,

Aharon
Aharon
Forum Addict

Topic author

Return to General