Outerra

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Outerra

Postby cowpatz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 am

What ever became of this as a proposed flight sim graphics engine?

It was quite promising but, apart from the demo, I have not heard of it used in any practical application.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: Outerra

Postby toprob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 am

It is certainly still active, but yeah, it's taking a while. It's been a while since I had a look at it, so currently downloading the latest build.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby cowpatz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:14 am

I keep expecting a company like ORBX to break out using it as a sim engine for their own flight sim. Certainly looks impressive.
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby toprob » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:14 pm

Yes, looking at the videos even the low res aerial imagery (10m) works well as it transitions to procedural ground -- so you go from aerial photos up high to 3D grass and rocks on the ground.
However I've had a bit of trouble getting the new alpha working -- it insisted on installing the same update over and over, as it didn't seem to update the registry with the new version number -- so I manually updated the registry, and now it works...
The demo is quite basic, but dropping into the Southern Alps, then down to ground level is trippy!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Return to General