GSX level 2

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

GSX level 2

Postby toprob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:22 am

I don't think that anyone has even mentioned this on NZFF, so I'm wondering who bought it, and what they think?
It is on my list, but I'm not buying anything except tinned beans and noodles at the moment. I do own and use GSX (I still find it endlessly entertaining to watch it working away...), and I do think that the new features are great, but I have been thinking about what to do about level 2 support in NZCH...
At the moment I have plopped GSX parking guidance systems into NZCH, in fact these will only appear with GSX, as I don't plan to develop my own guidance system, that's just not my area of expertise! But I don't really know if I'll support level 2 at the moment, for a couple of reasons. First, there is some suggestion on other forums that some developers will require GSX level 2 to save them the bother of building their own jetways, but I can't see anyone being that stupid, expecting their customers to spend NZ$98.59 on something to support a $40 scenery or whatever. So developers will still have to include their own jetways, and maybe offer an alternative for GSX Level 2 owners.
The problem is, the 'bang for buck' at NZCH is not that great at the moment. Sure, it it great to see passengers disembarking through the glass walls of the jetways, but there are only two glass jetways at NZCH, the rest you won't see anyone anyway.
Which brings me to the gates where you will see passengers disembarking. At the moment in level 2, they only load onto a bus, which isn't realistic at NZCH. FSDreamTeam have said that they may offer an update to allow developers to draw paths to gates etc, and that's really what will make the difference at NZCH. If I could have passengers walking along the current pathways at most of the domestic gates, then it would be worthwhile supporting. Unless this happens very soon, the initial release of NZCH will probably not support level 2 at all.

Anyway, this is speculation in lieu of actually understanding what local simmers actually want. Hence this post...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Re: GSX level 2

Postby cowpatz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:58 pm

I have yet to use GSX. It certainly gets a lot of fanfare but I would like to see if it fits into the NZ scene. Most of this stuff seems more tailored for the US market.
Rob would it be that difficult to have the option of using GSX or not for NZCH? Maximise the potential customer base?
cowpatz
NZFF Pro

Postby toprob » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Well, it will really, in that it will add accurately placed Safedock guidance displays, and you can always use the GSX features such as loading/unloading complete with animated baggage loaders, stairs, fuel trucks, catering trucks, pushback etc. You could also use the Level 2 visible passengers, as long as you can live with the unrealistic bus service...
It's only the visible passengers/crew on the walkways which I probably won't bother with, as this would mean having to buy Level 2 before releasing NZCH:)
Which really comes down to whether what I can add using Level 2 is worth the extra work and expense -- probably not the way things are at the moment.
toprob
NZFF Pro

Topic author

Postby tanken2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 pm

I have it and I like it , little man waiting to guide you in and bollocks you for piss poor parking . also some stairs at airports like Queenstown so people can get off . seems to be linked to our airports and Menzies is preferred user . Works fine for me.
tanken2

Postby NZ255 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 pm

I've had GSX for years so having to purchase the expansion wasn't hard to justify, myself.
I use it for every flight. Loading the plane (not used all the time just when I want some eye candy) the pushback feature is really good, and the parking guidance is very handy.

Sode jetways everywhere is cool however most of the airports I fly to are addons anyway. I really just want to support FSDT because that product has been receiving free updates and features for 6 years I think I read.
NZ255
NZFF Pro

Return to General