Putting LINZ into FSET for AeroflyFS2

A place to converse about the general aspects of flight simulation in New Zealand

Putting LINZ into FSET for AeroflyFS2

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:04 am

Heya guys this is kind of a message for Robin Corn but any help is greatly appreciated, I have recently become an AeroflyFS2 convert and have been engrossed in their new Geoconvert tool which allows you to create your own scenery within the Sim but currently the only two data sources in FSET (FS EARTH TILES) is Google which is useless or Virtual Earth which is OK, I am wondering if anyone knows how to put LINZ into the ini file of FSET so it can be used as a data source, if you remember Robin KIWI showed us how to obtain an API was it? by registering with the site then I tried to install it into Ortho4xp at the time but it did not work, I know you've been indulging in Aerofly and am wondering if you have already figured out a way to insert it into FSET ? I've included a couple of screens hots so you can see the potential of the Sim one is Queenstown and the others are just a random area I chose with mountainsome in it lol, having a blast! Next 3d modelling ooh my brain is gonna hurt lol

buzzard2008

Topic author

Re: Putting LINZ into FSET for AeroflyFS2

Postby Charl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:36 am

Wait... is that sitting on stock mesh?? :o
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 am

Yes it's stock mesh :) I done some of Welligton up to Paraparaumu most of it looks great except for the South coast from Lyall Bay to Makar beach, there is a vast colour difference in the hills brown vs green and the hills along the coastline look flattish. It's not perfect and a lot has to be done as far as masking photoshopping blending and of course 3D modelling to make it look great but that's only really around towns and cities or any place of personal interest to you, the mountainous areas look great apart from the odd cloud here and there but I can put up with that, I'm just wanting to use a better data source for imagery :)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 am

I don't use FSET, I've never even looked at it, but I'll see if it's possible to add LINZ as a source.
I bypass FSET completely as I already have vast areas of colour-corrected coverage, originally used for MSFS, so I drop this into Geoconverter for my Aerofly scenery. So my FSET experience is the same as Ortho4XP -- none!
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 am

Thank you Robin man it would be awesome to see your scenery in this Sim, have you tried Welly in it yet? Does it show all the autogen that you've created, buildings houses etc? Do you have any screenies to tease me with? Lol I've shelved Xplane 11 for the time being as I don't like the haziness and I need more ram as I have performance issues with it, not so with Aerofly, still 250-350fps constantly
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby toprob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:23 am

It's early days yet for FS 2, apart from the initial Kickstarter test area, I've only done Banks Peninsula at 50cm, to see if there's much difference up from 1 metre resolution. We are still waiting on tools to do large areas of 'autogen'. Although there is really no such thing as autogen in FS 2, every object needs to be placed, but I'm hopeful that we'll soon see a tool which will automate the process similar to Scenproc in MSFS.
However...

I did say that I'd never do a NZ-wide photoscenery, but really this is what FS 2 needs. The default resolution is 15 - 30 metres(!) which is an abrupt transition from any added custom scenery. At the moment I'm getting closer to being able to decide whether this is viable project. The idea is to work with another local developer and IPACS to build NZ, including mesh and airports. Keep an eye out for an announcement...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 am

Oh I'll be keeping both eyes on it don't worry but that lol But yes I agree, the Sim does need total coverage but man to have a fully operational NZ would be any local simmers dream, not to mention simmers abroad as well, I for one would pay good money for that :) at the moment I am just enjoying what I CAN do in it, they have made it very easy to convert scenery with the GeoconverHelper Tool just released a week ago by an outside source, it pretty much does everything for you including launching the converter, it took me a while to add Wellington airport into the NAV system but I finally got there in the end lol
buzzard2008

Topic author

Postby Dinga » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Those screen shots are in portrait Buzz any chance of you turning them to Landscape :)
I wish I had the time to do this myself,even though it sounds like everybody is having a ago at using this new tool I doubt I would have the patience for it.
Looking forward to the announcement.
Dinga

Postby Dinga » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm

I managed to rotate them in Paint Buzz, thanks.look very good :cheers:
Dinga

Postby toprob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes, you can save a screenshot within FS 2, just set up the key binding -- Settings : Controls : Simulation : Take Screenshot -- I set it to 'v' because I'm a creature of habit...
toprob
NZFF Pro

Postby Charl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:23 pm

toprob wrote:The idea is to work with another local developer and IPACS to build NZ, including mesh and airports. Keep an eye out for an announcement...
Oh yes... eye out, right out, on the desk in front of me out... B-)
Ultimately PR is the only solution for a hi-res sim.
Mesh/landclass approximations were fine for FS2004, but we have moved on a whole computational generation now.
Charl
NZFF Pro

Postby buzzard2008 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 am

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to rotate the images lol

Andy:)
buzzard2008

Topic author

Return to General