Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Justflight Viscount
gojozoom
post Nov 16 2011,11:17 AM
Post #1

Sim-holic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 921

Well, I promised, that Iíll upload my review on the Justflight Viscount, so here we go.

Iíve been hesitating for a long-long time, as according to other forums ďitís just eye candy without in-depth modelling of the aircraftís systemsĒ. But then I though: this is not the first payware aircraft that I have to tweak a bit after purchasing...

After the download I started the setup. I had to put in my JF account details prior to register the product. After the installation, youíll find the Viscount in your SimObjects folder, and a manual (pdf) in the Justflight folder located at the FSX root directory. The manual contains a brief history, model and animation feature list, a checklist, and a couple of pages about managing the aircraft and its systems in flight.

MODEL / TEXTURES

Itís quite nice, featuring hi-res textures inside and out, however it also has some inaccuracies around the outside of the cockpit area. I donít mind, Iíll fly it from inside smile.gif

The VC is rather nice; however 20 per cent of the gauges are hidden behind other objects or the dash itself. Youíll need TrackIR or Freetrack for thoseÖ
My favourite feature of the VC is the night lighting, itís very atmospheric.
Almost all switches are clickable, and the ones that are inactive are listed in the manual. The cabin is a nice touch, with multiple passenger views available.

SYSTEMS

When I purchase a new addon, first I try to familiarize myself with the cockpit layout, then I follow the checklist step-by-step to perform an initial test flight.
Unfortunately you wonít be able to tick all the items on the checklist, as some of the switches are just not there, or inactive (generator switches, air pressure controls, etc).
I decided to download Fraser McKayís Viscount 800 panel, which comes with a full explanation of the aircraft systems, and a much usable checklist. I learned how to use the spill valves, the de-icing equipment and the ideal power settings throughout the flight. It made my experience a lot more immerse and realistic.

The spill valves and fuel trimming controls are clickable, however they donít have any background effect whatsoever (as stated in the manual). At least they are there, providing the feel of a realistic system management. The de-icing equipment is pretty spot on (compared to real world photos), but again, Iím not sure their effect is modelled or not (other than an RPM drop when turned on).

The biggest mistake I found was that the High Pressure Fuel Cocks are replaced with Propeller Pitch LeversÖAt least thatís what the label says below them. Well, not much to say there. Itís not a showstopper, but itís not an acceptable glitch with a $37 payware addon... By the way, you can still start the engines even if they are in the SHUT positionÖ

Other things I really miss is a DME and an elevator trim gauge.

SOUND

Well, JF tried to reproduce that whistling sound of the Darts engines, but they sound rather strange. For some reason the RPM peaks right after startup, and settles 2-3 seconds later. Once again, I used freeware resources to fix the issue, and replaced the sounds with the ones from Rickís HS748 for FSX. It made a huge difference, and provided a much more realistic sound altogether.

FLIGHT

The performance was true to both manuals (the original and Fraserís), and it wasnít hard to hand-fly this bird either, although it felt a bit too sensitive for its size. I loved the amount of power those engines produced. I loaded it up to its limits using FSPassengers, and I still managed to climb 1500 fpm maintaining 160-170 knots.

Using the power settings advised by Fraserís manual, I was able to maintain 220 KTS at FL130.

The decent and the approach were smooth and controllable. Make sure that you donít pull too much on the yoke on the flare, otherwise the old lady starts climbing again smile.gif

SUMMARY

What I like:

The looks
The handling
VC

What I donít like:

Sounds
A couple of essential systems are not modelled
Glitches in the cockpit (prop levers instead of HP cocks, no DME, no elevator trim gauge)

Dispite all the problems, itís still the best Viscount available for FSX, therefore I didnít regret the purchase. I hope I can get Ian to make a NAC paint for it smile.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian Warren
post Nov 16 2011,12:01 PM
Post #2

Pro-to-type
Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 51

Dan , some parts there you can lift arm rests up , to follow a realistic start by compare to the Manual i questioned it , I did head scratch at that being the Authentic copy of the book only to find it was not to be the example .. an A2A product but as you said the best Viscount plying our VC .. < skies biggrin.gif .

NAC Paints .. have 3 cooking , the very early and these are very chop and change over such a short time for some reason also were the pretty ones .. guess the old can afford cheat lines cool.gif , maybe the company could not make up its mind and course the final paint/skin .. City of Christchurch parked up in Ferrymead , all these not to far away .

--------------------

+Quote Post
gojozoom
post Nov 23 2011,8:14 AM
Post #3

Sim-holic

Group: Admin
Member No.: 921

FYI - Just a quick follow-up:

I wrote a polite email to Justflight about the missing DME and elevator trim gauge. They replied within 6 hours

"Hi Daniel,

Due to the age of the aircraft that we based our model on, it was not fitted with a DME. We were also unable to find any reference to an elevator trim gauge."

I guess I'll just have to get the missing gauges from other aircraft, which is not too hard.

Dan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jeansy
post Jan 22 2012,7:32 PM
Post #4

Forum Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,061

did a quick fix for the RAAF scheme

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/...af-roundel-fix/

--------------------
Matt
Part time finger painter

Check Out Wombat's Repaints

Cairns AUSTRALIA

+Quote Post
Ian Warren
post Feb 4 2012,3:26 PM
Post #5

Pro-to-type
Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 51

Friggen Viscount is a Nightmare , painting wise .. i do wonder who is in charge .. obviously looking at derailing there own product maybe ? .

--------------------

+Quote Post
jeansy
post Feb 10 2012,5:16 PM
Post #6

Forum Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,061

All the just flight range are horrible to paint

--------------------
Matt
Part time finger painter

Check Out Wombat's Repaints

Cairns AUSTRALIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:17 PM