> Connor's Fsx Oe
Splitpin
post Feb 23 2012,3:58 PM
Post #37

NZFF Pro
Group Icon

Group: Mods
Member No.: 1,608

Great trip Connor.....your passport must be looking very full by now winkyy.gif Thanks for sharing the journey thumbup1.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
connor
post Feb 24 2012,6:51 AM
Post #38

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,051

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
connor
post Mar 18 2012,6:05 PM
Post #39

Here are some more bandwidth drainers for you all! biggrin.gif

I've finished the Israel-Turkey leg, and I'm now in Istanbul. There were a few good freeware sceneries in this leg, particularly so in Turkey. I've always had an interestig n turkey after seeing friends photos of the place, so that's why I flew to so many locations in Turkey (check the map on Page 3). All the airports there had custom objects, most of them photoreal, or darn close, and most of them had autogenned photoreal terrain as well. It's a great place to fly, most recommended.

Another scenery that stood out was Paphos International Airport in Southern Cyprus. This airport had full photoreal buildings, great custom runway and taxiway textures and a brilliant photoreal ground cover of the surrounding area. Admittedly it is a fair way from anywhere most of you guy will be flying, but still a great scenery.

As far as aircraft go it was all pretty standard. The only freebies I got for this leg were the Project Airbus A319/A320 in Cyprus Airways, Olympic Air, and Syrian Airways paints, and the Project Opensky 787-800 in Turkish Airways regalia. The PA A319/20 is pretty good; the external model is fantastic, but it is limited by the default A321 VC and systems. Still can't complain as it is free, and many people put a lot of effort into it. winkyy.gif It's pretty much the same story with the Posky 738, however I've found away around it. A few weeks back a Default 737-800 VC enhancement was relased, by Alejandro Rojas Lucena (available at SimV). It adds opening cockpit widows, working window wipers and a working FMC just to mention a few features. I wrangled it into the Posky 738 (When I say wrangled, I mean I replaced a few mdl's and panel files), and got it working pretty sweet in that. So now I've a semi-decent 737-800 to jet around the place it. Still, I really want the PMDG NGX, but I can't afford it at the moment, so if you want to shout me a round..... laugh.gif

Apart from those two, it's been mostly Captain Sim repaints (757 and C-130) a few iris paints and even a few defaults. ohmy.gif Anyway here are the shots. Hope you enjoy them. smile.gif

Not the first time the Arkia Israeli Airlines 757 has popped up on my travels, but it's a fantastic model, and I love the blue and yellow.

This is the Iris F-16D (Pretty fantastic for the fiver i paid for it) in an Israeli Air Force dress. The lake you can see under the nose is the Sea of Galilee.

The Arkia 75 again, out of Tel Aviv Israel to Cyrpus. As it turns out, despite my map, you cannot travel directly from Israel to Syria, or Lebanon. So I thought I may as well learn something while I'm here, so I decided to fly to Damascus and Beirut via Paphos. cool.gif

This is the Project Airbus A319 in Cyprus Airways colours, on the ground at Paphos. By the sounds of it, Cyprus Airways will be going to Aeroflot before long.

There aren't many airlines still flying a 747SP, so I took a shot of a Syrian Airlines shorty at Damascus International Airport. The scenery was quite good, but if things keep going the way they are in Syria both Damascus Intl and Syrian Airways might be facing there end. winkyy.gif

Another International anomaly caused by disputed borders is that you cant travel from Southern Cyprus (Paphos) to Turkey, after the Turkish invade Cyprus in 1974. They still hold the North of Cyprus, which is a bit sad. So I decided I'd fly my Greek leg before I got to Turkey, stopping of in Athens.

Yes it's another 757, and yes it's also another wing shot, but REX was being amazing again, and the contrast between the blue sky and red of the AtlasJet paint was too good of an opportunity to give up.

Playing around with the ever-brilliant Captain Sim C-130, in a TuAF scheme, at Konya Air Base, Central Turkey. It's quite high here, and the weather was less than stellar (catching the last of their winter I suppose), I caught snow several times, and the temperature at ground level was often below zero. cool.gif

On the way to Bursa Airport, in my re-VC'd Posky 737-800. Still open to any PMDG shouts. biggrin.gif It started snowing quite heavily as I taxied in at Bursa, I was considering diverting to Istanbul, but got on the ground in time.

The C-130 again, over the Black Sea (did a few accurate water colour changes) in farily low-visibility weather.

The Iris F-16D in a default TuAF scheme out of Trabzon Airport in North Eastern Turkey. This was a very good airport, with custom apartment buildings along the road next to the runway.

I found a Turkish paint for the DG-808s glider, so I flew to Canakkale Airport in Western Turkey to have a fly. Then the weather packed a sad. The Airfield is just over the Dardanelles from the Gallipoli Peninsula, so I got a good mental picture of the area.

And finally, a rare occurrance, me flying two default aircraft in a row. The default DC-3 in a TuAF livery. This particular aircraft resides at the Turkish Air Force Museum in Ankara, the capital. I forgot how much I love flying on 130 octane... drool.gif

Thanks for looking. Next I'm off into Iron Curtain Territory. I'm planning to head into Ukraine, then Russia before going around the to through Scandanavia and into London. I'll post the map soon.

Thanks again! plane.gif

+Quote Post
deeknow
post Mar 18 2012,9:06 PM
Post #40

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 786

Great stuff Connor as usual, lovely pics, and some interesting flying going on there, great that you researched the access coz wouldn't like to see your virtual ATP license revoked when you entered forbidden airspace tongue.gif
Thanks for the heads up on the Paphos (note to others, look for it spelt Pafos when hunting for scenery) and Damascus airports, both are great for freebies, just been buzzing about in them. I spent a few months around that area in the 90's so am virtually revisiting it now laugh.gif
Looking FWD to your eastern block stuff

--------------------

Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
Asus P8Z68 m/b - i5/2500k @4.3GHz - EVGA-GTX560Ti - 8GB DDR3/1600 - Win7 - FSX

+Quote Post
connor
post Mar 19 2012,7:41 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (deeknow @ Mar 18 2012,10:06 PM) *
Great stuff Connor as usual, lovely pics, and some interesting flying going on there, great that you researched the access coz wouldn't like to see your virtual ATP license revoked when you entered forbidden airspace tongue.gif
Thanks for the heads up on the Paphos (note to others, look for it spelt Pafos when hunting for scenery)...

Yeah, well, that's what I thought about airspace entering, I'd hate to virtually have to finish the trip in a C172! laugh.gif

And as for Paphos being spelled Pafos, caught me out big time. I downloaded it (spelled Paphos at Avsim), went to install it (Also spelled Paphos in the installer) and I went to use it and I couldn't locate the airport at all. So i checked the installation numerous times, did a re-install, still couldn't find it and then I realised it was spelled Pafos in the FSX airport directory. Should've just checked the ICAO straight away. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Naki
post Mar 19 2012,8:05 AM
Post #42

NZFF Pro
Group Icon

Member No.: 126

Nice shots....amazing to think most of it is freeware

+Quote Post
connor
post Mar 19 2012,10:26 AM
Post #43

QUOTE (Naki @ Mar 19 2012,9:05 AM) *
Nice shots....amazing to think most of it is freeware

It's pretty cool, but your trip is sort of dictated by scenery availability. And a I have to be pretty picky about where I fly. winkyy.gif

+Quote Post
deeknow
post Mar 19 2012,2:35 PM
Post #44

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 786

For anyone thinking about some flying in this area, there's also some fabulous photo-real covering Israel, some nice routes too up and down the coast there for props etc, and the local sim community have some excellent freebie airports too for Israel and neighbouring Lebanon. I've been doing a few legs in that area lately. Will post some filenames tonight.

Would make for some great multi-play actually. I buzzed out from Damascus to Beirut last night (after reading Connors post) in the Skyhawk, was great fun blasting about in the high-country and valleys.

--------------------

Deans repaints: http://www.deeknow.com/
Asus P8Z68 m/b - i5/2500k @4.3GHz - EVGA-GTX560Ti - 8GB DDR3/1600 - Win7 - FSX

+Quote Post
connor
post May 27 2012,5:47 PM
Post #45

Hi all,

I was planning to post the next set of screens and so forth when I got to Moscow, but I forgot. So there are quite a few screens this time! winkyy.gif

I have flown from Istanbul, Turkey to London/Heathrow via the Eastern Bloc and Scandinavia. Here's the map (sorry, it's a bit rough!).

All in all the scenery was pretty good. I was quite selective though, and to be honest I didn't sample a huge amount of available scenery overall. The only downer was that I just saw this morning that a faily decent looking Kiev city photoreal has been released, rolleyes.gif but as it hadn't been released when I was in Kiev, I don't have any experience with it.

The aircraft were ok. Just the usual, CS and Project Airbus and Project opensky with a few Russians in there for airliners, and a couple of GA's. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing some more heavy metal though, as PA and Posky simply don't cut it. cool.gif

Here are the many screens from the most recent leg:

Tim Conrad's freeware Antonov An-32 over the excellent freeware L'viv International Airport in Ukraine.

Another impressive scenery is Zaporozhye Airport, an airbase with a very Soviet feel to it. The TU-95 wasn't brilliant though. dry.gif

A Russian Tu-152M takes off from Rostov-on-Don airport, near the Ukrainian border. The Project Tupolev TU-154 is amazing, the systems are incredibly detailed, but also in Russian, and most of the time are not at all similar the western systems most of us will be used to. I managed to fly it successfully on two occasions, but the navigational systems had me confused most of the time.

The AN-2 is a great machine, it's loud, slow and ugly! laugh.gif

Aerosvit Airlines operates the largest network of flights in the Ukraine. This is one of their A320's on the ground at Donetsk Airport.

I took the opportunity to fly the monstrous AN-225 (seeing I was flying right over her home airport), from Kiev to Moscow. This is on landing at Sheremetyevo International Airport in Moscow.

Even though it's not a terribly realistic route (to my knowledge anyway), to fly this freeware IL-86 across Russia to Kazan Airport. It wasn't a bad piece of freeware, however many of the gauges were misconfigured and it ended up crashing my sim on final approach. angry.gif

The CS 757-200 at the fantastic freeware Khanty-Mansiysk Airport, over the Ural's (and technically in Asia).

The PA A319 in S7 Airlines colours taking off from Sheremetyevo International.

The CS 767-300 in a default Aeroflot Scheme on the way to Helsinki from Moscow.

REX was doing it's stuff accurately on the leg (not that I've ever been to any of these places), looking very nice on the ground, at dusk in Helsinki.

The Swedes are known for being innovative, and their Air Force is no exception. Most of their Air Force is designed to operate from small airfields, or even sections of closed public motorway. Swedish manufacturer SAAB are responsible for the designing and building of many of their aircraft as well. Here is the SAAB 105 trainer jet, cruising up the Baltic Coast.

Here is one of the Air Forces small airbases, hidden away in the woods. The jet is the fantastic freeware SAAB J35 Drakken. Do have a fly in it, it's a great simulation and a really fun plane to fly.

Much to my delight, I found a Swedish registered Cessna 185F repaint for the Carenado model. cool.gif

Kiruna is a small town in Sweden's far north and is likely to be the furtherest north I'll reach on my trip. Courtesy of REX real world weather a ripper of a snowstorm kicked up; here's the tail end of it.

A Scandinavian Airlines Service (SAS) MD-83 on short final to a great Freeware Gardermoen International Airport, just out of Oslo, in Norway.

Norwegian Air Shuttle is a fairly recent airline, but has grown rapidly. Because I can't shell out for the PMDG model, however, I am flying the Posky one instead. ninja.gif

I took a Cherokee for a spin down the West Coast Fjords...

...and took a Catalina Back up.

I am now at Heathrow International Airport, sorting out Western Europe. I'll probably take a break for a few weeks before I start.

Thanks for looking! plane.gif

+Quote Post
Ian Warren
post May 27 2012,6:00 PM
Post #46

NZFF Pro
Group Icon

Member No.: 51

Great , the TU s always so cool .. and the weather .. best stick with a Bear cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
connor
post May 28 2012,10:07 AM
Post #47

Thanks Ian.

+Quote Post
scaber
post May 28 2012,11:12 AM
Post #48

Sim-holic

Member No.: 1,754

Great shots and a stimulating tour of the world so far. I like your use of local paints for the aircraft too.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 4:55 AM